Fragments of memory: UP cartoon movie

Sunday, June 19, 2011


I recalled a cartoon I'd watched when I was in the hospital.


Yes, it's the cartoon movie UP which was quite popular back then in 2009.


To tell the truth, I did not even get to finish watching half of the cartoon as my ex-housemates came to visit me. I admit that I was actually very happy that they took the time to visit me. It was very thoughtful of them although we seldom talked to each other.
Wait...where was I? Ok...so I'd only watched the first 30 minutes of the cartoon and what makes me remember it is the beginning of the cartoon.

Carl and Ellie met when they were young and got married. They had a happy and wonderful life together. Both of them had a dream that was to travel to the Lost Land of South Africa. Carl made a promise to bring Ellie there but never did. They lived together for many years until they grew old. However, Ellie was sick and eventually died. Now Carl lives alone but he still remembers his promise to Ellie. One day, he took off to the Lost Land of South Africa with lots and lots of balloons together with his house. (I'm not sure of the details. I'm just recalling some fragments of the scene.)

I actually cried watching the beginning. What Ellie wrote to Carl (refer to picture above) is so touching.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs