Book review: Lone Wolf

Sunday, July 8, 2012

"Sometimes, survival means sacrifice." - Lone Wolf, Jodi Picoult




If you love "My Sister's Keeper" by Jodi Picoult, you would definitely love this.
I bought this book, "Lone Wolf" during March when I had to spent that free RM200 book voucher before the end of March. Despite the pricing of RM47.90 (after 20% discount) which is higher than the average cost of books out there, I still bought it and yeah, it's totally worth it!


Synopsis:
Luke Warren has spent his life researching wolves. In many ways, Luke understands wolf dynamics better than those of his family. His wife, Georgie, finally gave up on their marriage and left him. His son, Edward, fled six years ago, leaving a shattered relationship with his father. Then comes a frantic phone call: Luke has been gravely injured in a car accident with Edward's younger sister, Cara.
Now, Edward must return home to face the father he walked out on at the age of eighteen. He and Cara have to decide their father's fate. How can any family member make such a decision in the face of guilt, pain, or both?

"Lone Wolf" brilliantly describes the nature of a family: the love, protection, and strength it can offer and the price we might have to pay for those gifts. What happens when the hope that should sustain a family is the very thing tearing it apart?


My review:
I have always been a fan of Jodi Picoult although I have not read all of her books yet. What makes me a fan is that Jodi Picoult never fails to write about the importance of family values.

In "Lone Wolf" both Cara and Edward struggles to find the best solution, that is to either end their father's life or continues to let him live with the help of a life support. Both of them have different opinions in deciding their father's life, but with their own reasons. Should they just agree to let go of their father? Or wait for miracle to happen? It is one of life's difficult decisions to make because neither of it is right or wrong. What would you do if you were in Cara or Edward's situation? What would be your decision?

However, miracles don't always happen in Jodi Picoult's books. Unlike the ending in "My Sister's Keeper", the ending of "Lone Wolf" forces us to accept the reality and the fact that miracles don't always happen no matter how hard you wish for it. It also reminds us that sometimes, survival means sacrifice.


Have you read any books written by Jodi Picoult? Are you a fan of her books too? Which one is your favourite?



2 comments :

  1. I am thinking of giving a novel to my gf on her b'day..Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it all depends on personal preferences. Some people prefer a more realistic story which usually ends up with a not-so-happy ending. There are also some who loves fairytale like stories with happy endings. Actually, I couldn't give much suggestions because I don't read much but out of all the books I've read, I'd suggest My Sister's Keeper. You can try The Memory Keeper's Daughter too although I haven't read it yet but I heard it's not bad.

    ReplyDelete

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs