Korean movie review: My Mighty Princess

Sunday, December 16, 2012

My Mighty Princess isn't your normal high school movie and there's no princess involved. Instead, this movie depicts the life of a girl who has inherited the super natural traits from her parents and she's a martial art prodigy. So you're expected to see some human beings flying around clashing their swords. Yawnage? Not exactly as this movie managed to entertain me for 2 hours. Yup, this is a romance comedy movie.

My Mighty Princess


My Mighty Princess stars Shin Min Ah as Kang So Hwi and On Joo Wan as Il Young.


Here's the summary of the movie:
(Copy and paste from AsianWiki. Opps.....)

Kang So-Hwi, a beautiful martial arts prodigy, is about to embark on a journey into adulthood. But her journey is like no other. Her super-human strength and martial arts prowess scares away her fellow undergrads and even the boy she has fallen for. Devastated, So-Hwi decides to give up martial arts and takes a different path. Her father, a martial artist himself, is afraid of losing an heiress to the family’s martial artistry, and missions So-Hwi’s old buddy Il-Young to persuade her to stay in the field. Meanwhile, the evil Heuk-Bong provokes a war to conquer the martial arts world with the legendary Fine Blade he stole in the past, killing every swordsman one after another. So-Hwi’s father comes to a showdown with Heuk-Bong, but the battle leaves him fatally injured. On the brink of her father’s death, So-Hwi picks up a sword again with a burning desire for revenge.

Credits: AsianWiki


My review:

As I've mentioned above, this is a romance comedy movie with martial arts involved. So Hwi(Shin Min Ah), the iron girl with super human strength who can bend iron bar, carry huge stones and wouldn't faint when a construction worker accidentally drops a hammer on her head. Haha like wth man... but I cracked up at that scene. LOL



This movie doesn't have much logic as it's only made to garner laughter from viewers so it shouldn't be watched in a serious mode. I felt as if I was watching an anime with real action.

Although the overall story is good, I don't feel the satisfaction that I'll always get when I've watched a great movie. So I guess this movie doesn't fit into my liking. However, I can't help to notice that Shin Min Ah's performance is rather good. I wouldn't say that it's her best since I've never watched any of her other movie or drama before but I'll say My Mighty Princess turns out to be better because of her.


Part 1




Part 2



1 comment :

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs