Books I've read during my holidays

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Whee~~

About a week left until MMU orientation day. Got to start packing my things up before my parents start nagging at me.

I had been reading storybooks for the past few weeks.

Empress Orchid written by Anchee Min is one of my favourite books. The ending doesn't seems like an ending probably because the story continues in The Last Empress. The story revolves about a girl name Orchid who grew up in a poor family. She then got chosen to become a concubine and entered the Forbidden City. The story continues with her life as a concubine in the Forbidden City.

Well, this is a very short description I've given here. More like a bad summary. Pardon me as I'm not very good at describing stories.

Rich Dad, Poor Dad is another book I read. It's not a storybook. It's more like a book that educates people on financial subjects. Like how to make use of your financial intelligence along with some of the author's past experience as an example.

I'm currently reading a storybook title The Harmony Silk Factory by Tash Aw. I'm still half way through the book. I'm not sure if it's nice but the story seems ok though. Have to wait until I finish reading it.

There's also this book called The Glass Palace by Amitav Ghosh. It's a story that sets between Burmese, India and Malaya during the Second World War. I read it halfway and gave up because it somehow bores me.

*** *** ***

I went to Mahkota Parade, a shopping center yesterday for some window shopping. Somehow, I ended up stepping into Tai Kuang bookstore, and discovered a section where dozens of second-hand books are sold at a very cheap price. Ranging from rm8.90 to rm16.90. So there I was, spending almost an hour browsing and flicking through dozen of books, wondering which book is nice and whether I should buy one. It was until my mum phoned me. It's time for me to go back. In a rush, I simply fished a book from a random rack and read the first page. It seems nice. I decided to buy it because the condition of the book is still good and it comes with a cheap price. Only rm9.90. I hope the story is nice. The book I bought was The Lighthouse Keeper.


No comments :

Post a Comment

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs